Country Stone is a walling product with an aged-face finish. Its rugged appearance blends perfectly with plants and shrubs in garden and landscape projects. The single course mixed pack is the popular choice for garden walls, whereas the random bond laying pattern is ideal for house building projects.
Routine cleaning and maintenance is required to keep the overall appearance of products in pristine condition.
Good Practice during Construction
1. If mortar dry’s on the surface of the bricks it will stain the product and may not be removed.
2. Mortar extruding from joints should be removed when the mortar is wet and during the process of laying.
3. Any mortar smears on the brick surface should be removed by dry or wet brushing.
4. Scaffolding should be installed as per regulatory instructions. Please note that mortar can drop and hit the scaffolding and then also go onto the wall. You should inspect the work area at all times to ensure the brick surface remains mortar free.
5. When it rains be careful that any wet mortar on the scaffolding does not get ‘splashed’ onto the wall.
6. When work stops or is interrupted by inclement weather conditions, brickwork should be protected immediately with polythene sheeting that is held in place with a suitable fixing. If new brickwork is not protected efflorescence, patchy mortar colour, patchy brickwork and staining can occur.
7. Bricks should always be covered with polythene sheets to avoid getting damp or dirty when not being used.
General Cleaning Advice
1. It is always important to keep bricks as clean as possible while laying and tooling. See Good Practice above.
2. If mortar has been allowed to dry on the surface of the bricks the options you have to clean it off are as follows; Each process should be tested first and should ensure the facing bricks are not damaged -
a. Dry brushing
b. Wet brushing
c. Using a ‘like coloured’ brick to rub the stained brick
d. Pressure washing should only be used as a last resort as it will damage the surface and the mortar joint if not completed correctly (this method cannot be attempted until the area has been allowed to set for a minimum of 7 days)
e. Acid cleaning should be avoided